hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Subramanian Iyer <msi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBASE-1730 and HBASE-4213
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 04:27:37 GMT
Hi Nileema,

Absolutely no need for apologies. Actually I never realized that you were also working on
the same and saw your patch when I was about to commit my patch.

I created a new JIRA (4213) just so that I can bring up an additional option to the table
with out polluting or hijacking your efforts from 1730.

thanks a lot for your help on this.

On Aug 18, 2011, at 9:03 PM, nileema shingte wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> Thank you for starting a thread to bring this to closure.
> I have only read Subbu's description of the approach. I believe the main difference is
that 4213 uses the zookeeper to maintain if all regions have the updated schema and reopening
the regions is the RegionServer's responsibility, where as 1730 it happens in memory in the
Master, and reopens are issued by the master.
> I have not read through the patch submitted on 4213, so am not sure if it allows you
to configure the number of regions that reopen at a time. Apart from this I think that 1730
is a subset of 4213 and if 4213 agrees more with the HBase ideology, we should definitely
use that as a patch.
> In either case, I will respond to the comments on the Jira and upload detailed description
for the same.
> Thanks,
> Nileema
> PS: I am new to HBase and was working on this during my internship. I wasn't aware of
other efforts towards this. Apologies if I created any inconvenience.