hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Zhoushuaifeng <zhoushuaif...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: Is there any influence to the read performance if setting the TTL of a table?
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 01:50:43 GMT
Thanks J-D, this is my test case:
I do read+write mixture performance test, when no setting TTL, the read avg latency is about
200ms, but if setting TTL, the latency change to about 1s.
The read throughput is fixed to 500scan/s, there is no limit on the write throughput. Read
pattern is scan 1~1000 rows per scan(the records are sequential).
The write throughput changed, no setting TTL, it's avg 120,000puts/s, changed to 5,000puts/s.
Read throughput decrease a little after setting TTL.
I set ttl = 172800 , so that's 2days. I test this at the second day, so it's actually in the
range of TTL.

Then, I do only read performance test, the latency is about 200ms whatever setting TTL or
not.
I can't explain this strange phenomena.

Zhou Shuaifeng(Frank)

-----Original Message-----
From: jdcryans@gmail.com [mailto:jdcryans@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jean-Daniel Cryans
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:45 AM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is there any influence to the read performance if setting the TTL of a table?

How worse?

When you are setting TTL, is data actually getting out of that TTL
range at all? I'm asking because "corpses" of rows can slow you down
until the major compactions. Should not be noticeable unless you churn
through thousands of versions a day within a single region. Basically
we need to know more about your test.

J-D

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Zhoushuaifeng <zhoushuaifeng@huawei.com> wrote:
> I do some test and find that the scan performance getting worse after I setting the TTL
 of a table. Is there any explain to this? Or TTL is not the case, there may be other reason
of the worse performance?