hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Starting the Hadoop DataNode inside the HBase process?
Date Sun, 17 Jul 2011 02:34:58 GMT
On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Jason Rutherglen <
jason.rutherglen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Running the DataNode inside of an HBase process seems like this could
> be a good option to enable?

My gut is that this would be a maintenance headache.

> Specifically because it would reduce the number of processes on an
> HBase instance.  Eg, I think one of the barriers to adoption for HBase
> in general is the multiple processes management part.  Are there any
> known issues with doing this?

Well, I think you are right about adoption.  To take Mongo as a straw man,
the new user impression is that you untar a file and run a program.  Then
you run another one on another machine.  Leaving aside the fact that Mongo
has admin issues at scale, this style of installation definitely enhances
the adoption for simple instances.

I am not sure, however, whether this option is really available for HBase.
 HDFS is not a simple animal no matter how you package it.

In addition to the DataNode, one could auto-specify which servers
> should be running Zookeeper and start ZK inside of the HBase
> process(es).

Internal management of ZK is already an option (and I don't recommend that
either, for different reasons).