hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Subject logging more information in unit tests about region server carrying .META.
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 20:06:53 GMT
Hi,
For HBase TRUNK, in order to make troubleshooting failed unit tests easier,
I think we should log more information about the selection of region server
carrying .META.
e.g. TestScannerTimeout.test3686a() :
    HRegionServer rs = TEST_UTIL.getRSForFirstRegionInTable(TABLE_NAME);
    int metaIdx = TEST_UTIL.getHBaseCluster().getServerWithMeta();
    HRegionServer metaSvr =
TEST_UTIL.getHBaseCluster().getRegionServer(metaIdx);
    if (rs == metaSvr) {
      LOG.info("picked region server hosting .META.");
    }

To get deterministic test results, the selection of region server should
really distinguish between non .META. server and .META. server if the test
involves aborting region server:
    // Kill after one call to next(), which got 5 rows.
    rs.abort("die!");
Meaning, there should be two test cases for test3686a() - one that aborts
.META. server and one that aborts non .META. server

If you have suggestion on this subject, comment is welcome.