hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HBASE-4089 & HBASE-4147 - on the topic of ops output
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:49:35 GMT
Hi,

I'm for publishing all performance metrics in JMX (in addition to exposing it wherever else
you guys decide).  That's because JMX is probably the easiest for our SPM for HBase [1] to
get to HBase performance metrics and I suspect we are not alone.

Otis
[1] http://sematext.com/spm/hbase-performance-monitoring/index.html
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Hadoop - HBase

>________________________________

Todd suggested, rather than focusing on shell access.

>I don't agree.
>

>Look at what we have existing and proposed:
>
>    - Java API access to server and region load information, that the shell uses
>
>    - A proposal to dump some stats into log files, that then has to be scraped
>
>    - A proposal (by the FB guys) to export some JSON via a HTTP servlet
>
>This is not good design, this is a bunch of random shit stuck together.
>
>Note that what Todd proposed does not preclude adding Java client API support for retrieving
it.

>At a minimum all of this information must be accessible via the Java client API, to enable
programmatic monitoring and analysis use cases. I'll add the shell support if nobody else
cares about it, that is a relatively small detail, but one I think is important.