hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HDFS-1599 status? (HDFS tickets to improve HBase)
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 23:57:42 GMT
An hdfs-347 that checksums is over in a the hadoop branch that fb
published over on github (Dhruba and Jon pointed me at it); i've been
meaning to put the patch up in the hdfs-347 issue.

St.Ack

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Jason Rutherglen
<jason.rutherglen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think one'd need to checksum only once on the first file system
> instantiation, or first access of the file?  As mentioned in
> HDFS-2004, HBase's usage of HDFS is outside of the initial design
> motivation.  Eg, the rules may need to be bent in order to enable
> performant use of HBase with HDFS.  The idea of working with HDFS at
> the block level becomes [likely] more important.
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Kihwal Lee <kihwal@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> When I tried HDFS-941, the new bottleneck was checksum. So the performance may drop
significantly if checksum is added and enabled in HDFS-347.

>> Kihwal
>>

>> On 6/3/11 5:46 PM, "Andrew Purtell" <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, and though I have patches, and I'm happy to provide them if you want...
>>
>> Indeed, 347 doesn't do security or checksums so needs work to say the least. We use
it with HBase given a privileged role such that it shares group-readable DFS data directories
with the DataNodes. It works for us, though checksumming is on the to do list.

>> And I agree 947 is scary. However I did pull the last incarnation of 947 attached
to the jira into CDH3U0 for some ongoing testing with real load, combined with 918, which
we did put into production.