hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HDFS-1599 status? (HDFS tickets to improve HBase)
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 08:46:28 GMT
> From: Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com>
> Not to be too mean and discouraging to everyone passing around patches
> against CDH3 and/or 0.20-append, but just an FYI: there is no chance
> that these things will get committed to an 0.20 branch without first
> going through trunk. Sharing patches and testing them on real
> workloads in 20 is a nice step in that direction, but if you're
> discouraged that they aren't checked in yet, please help on getting
> them up to date on trunk, finishing out pending review comments, and
> making sure they also work in trunk :)

This is not discouraging. :-)

HBasers patch CDH because trunk -- anything > 0.20 actually -- is not trusted by consensus
if you look at all of the production deployments. Does ANYONE run trunk under anything approaching
"production"? And trunk/upstream has a history of ignoring any HBase specific concern. So
the use of and trading of patches will probably continue for a while, maybe forever.

Part of the problem is the expectation that any patch provided against trunk may generate
months of back and forth, as we have seen, which presents difficulities to a potential contributor
who does not work on e.g. HDFS matters full time. Alternatively it may pick up a committer
as sponsor and then be vetoed by Yahoo because they're mad at Cloudera over some unrelated
issue and a patch appears to have a Cloudera sponsor and/or or vice versa. Now, that situation
I describe _is_ discouraging. It's not enough to say that we must contribute through trunk.
Trunk needs to earn back our trust.

I believe I recently saw discussion that append should be removed or disabled by default on
0.22 or trunk. Did you see anything like this? If I am mistaken, fine. If not, this is going
in the wrong direction, for example.

   - Andy