hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: modular build and pluggable rpc
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 15:54:34 GMT
> From: Lars George <lars.george@gmail.com>
> What would "common" be anyways? Just curious.

Maybe 'common' should be 'core' ?

> Also, Flume is using Thrift, so do quite a few here as the gateway
> server to access HBase. Could we get some reports from those who used
> it if they are happy with the Thrift RPC? It seems like they are, but
> maybe we should carefully check into the option. I am also wary about
> using REST. Especially when you handle very small payloads, then the
> performance is driven by the protocol overhead.

Well... :-)

REST is suitable for an application interface, depending on what you want to do, lots of people
have success with that architectural approach.

But not for internal RPC. REST addresses individual resources per transaction, so headers
are significant overhead even with HTTP pipelining.

Doing otherwise is non-RESTful, so let's make a distinction between REST and HTTP.

A non-RESTful approach could use HTTP as little more than a network transport. Something like
SPDY or BEEP after an initial HTTP transaction. Or Thrift-over-HTTP. But what if any benefit
is there over the existing RPC layer or using Thrift directly?

  - Andy

View raw message