hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: A question about Unit Test
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 15:17:47 GMT
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Gaojinchao <gaojinchao@huawei.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> 1/  I have other question: It needs clear something when one test case had failed ?

Are you suggesting that there is a ripple effect if a test fails in
that lots of the subsequent tests fail?

That should not be the case but I believe I've seen it happen.   If a
test does not cleanup properly, it may for example leave a zk ensemble
running, one that has some state in it and it then messes up the
subsequent test.

>    In my case. The test cases auto run at night.
>    I find some test case failed randomly and try to dig it.
>

> Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 7.599 sec <<<
FAILURE!
> testMergeTool(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.TestMergeTool)  Time elapsed: 7.586 sec  <<<
FAILURE!

So, TestMergeTool always fails or sometimes?  Can you look at the log
to see why the assertion failed?   Is there an exception earlier up in
the log?

> 2/ DNS Error test case:
> TestClockSkewDetection
> testBadOriginalRootLocation
> testScanner
> TestCatalogTracker
>
> Error logs:
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.031 sec <<<
FAILURE!
> testClockSkewDetection(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.TestClockSkewDetection)  Time
elapsed: 0.02 sec  <<< ERROR!
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not resolve the DNS name of example.org:1234

Lets figure a way to fix these.  Its not good that our test depends on
the network and a working DNS.  Please file an issue with this data.
I don't think it'll be fixed for 0.90.x but we can address it in
0.92.0 (in 0.90.x, the deserialization of HServerAddress creates an
InetSocketAddress which does a resolve on construction).

St.Ack