hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: putting a border around 0.92 release
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 18:25:00 GMT
I'm in favor of releasing major versions more often so that the
changes be less disruptive, the sooner the better.

We'll never know for sure, but I wonder if releasing more often
compared to waiting for those features would put those same features
in the hands of the users sooner or later. Like would releasing 0.92
without online schema edits and others and then releasing 0.94 not too
far enough would coincide with a 0.92 with all those features in
another timeline.

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> Whats our thinking on 0.92.0 now May 1st has passed?  Interestingly,
> the numbers of blockers and criticals are the same as Andrew reports
> below in the threads' first message (we won some since his email was
> written but then some new ones showed up since).  Online merge and
> schema edits have not made it in nor has a secondary index
> implementation (distributed log splitting has though).
> There seemed to be a strong sense in the below thread that we should
> go for mostly time-based releases anyways so we should try stabilizing
> TRUNK so we can cut a 0.92.0 soon?  When?  This week?  Looks like
> it'll be two weeks at least before we nail the blockers and criticals
> as is.  Branch May 14th or so?
> St.Ack
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> Stack and I were chatting on IRC about settling with should get into 0.92 before
pulling the trigger on the release.
>> Stack thinks we need online region schema editing. I agree because per-table coprocessor
update to trigger various actions in the regionserver. (For CPs, (re)load.)
>> I'd also really like to see some form of secondary indexing. This is an important
feature for HBase to have. All of our in house devs ask for this sooner or later in one form
or another. Other projects have options in this arena, while HBase used to in core, but no
longer. We have three people starting on this ASAP. I'd like to at least do co-design with
the community. We should aim for 'simple and effective'.
>> There are 14 blockers: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+HBASE+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.92.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+priority+%3D+Blocker
>> Additionally, 22 marked as critical: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+HBASE+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.92.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+priority+%3D+Critical
>> Best regards,
>>    - Andy
>> Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back.
>>  - Piet Hein (via Tom White)

View raw message