hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release 0.90.3 soon?
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 22:01:12 GMT
It's a pretty big change and it would need to be backported, but I
understand your concern.

In my ideal world, 0.92.0 would be released in not too long and this
would be a non-issue.

In the real world, for all I know, 0.92.0 could be released in 6
months or more and people would be struggling with ZK connection
errors during all that time (and we would tell them to patch their
0.90 themselves).

Here's what I propose:

 - Release 0.90.3 without HBASE-3777 since it already has enough going
and it's almost ready to go out.
 - Backport HBASE-3777 and post the patch in that jira, considering
that the 0.90 branch won't be changing a lot in the foreseeable future
so it should apply cleanly for some time.
 - Point people to that patch and ask them to try it out on 0.90, I
know for sure that we'll we doing it here.
 - In the mean time, the patch will get more usage in trunk as we
prepare a 0.92 release and might find issues.
 - Finally consider patching it in for 0.90.4 if we have enough
confidence in it (with or without some other fixes that we would have
figured out by then).

Does that sound good to you?

Thx,

J-D