hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Lars George <lars.geo...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase Shell CLI Help
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 07:49:46 GMT
Hi,

In the hirb.rb source we have

# so they don't go through to irb.  Output shell 'usage' if user types '--help'
cmdline_help = <<HERE # HERE document output as shell usage
HBase Shell command-line options:
 format        Formatter for outputting results: console | html.
Default: console
 -d | --debug  Set DEBUG log levels.
HERE
found = []
format = 'console'
script2run = nil
log_level = org.apache.log4j.Level::ERROR
for arg in ARGV
  if arg =~ /^--format=(.+)/i
    format = $1
    if format =~ /^html$/i
      raise NoMethodError.new("Not yet implemented")
    elsif format =~ /^console$/i
      # This is default
    else
      raise ArgumentError.new("Unsupported format " + arg)
    end
    found.push(arg)
  elsif arg == '-h' || arg == '--help'
    puts cmdline_help
    exit
  elsif arg == '-d' || arg == '--debug'
    log_level = org.apache.log4j.Level::DEBUG
    $fullBackTrace = true
    puts "Setting DEBUG log level..."
  else
    # Presume it a script. Save it off for running later below
    # after we've set up some environment.
    script2run = arg
    found.push(arg)
    # Presume that any other args are meant for the script.
    break
  end
end

We should enhance the help printed when using -h/--help to look like this?

cmdline_help = <<HERE # HERE document output as shell usage
HBase Shell command-line options:
 --format={console|html}        Formatter for outputting results.
Default: console
 -d | --debug  Set DEBUG log levels.
 -h | --help   This help.
 <script-filename> [<script-options>]