hbase-dev mailing list archives

From tsuna <tsuna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reading from client buffer
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 22:32:57 GMT
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:02 AM, fazool mein <fazoolmein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doesn't this violate the ACID semantics (visibility in particular ) of Hbase
> given at: http://hbase.apache.org/acid-semantics.html
> <quote>
> When a client receives a "success" response for any mutation, that mutation
> is immediately visible to both that client and any client with whom it later
> communicates through side channels.
> </quote>

That's why asynchbase doesn't return a "success" response to the
client until the write has actually gone through and persisted
successfully.  But asynchbase can do this because it's asynchronous.
You can't have a useful write buffer that's synchronous, because it
would mean that as soon as you call put(), you get blocked until the
buffer is flushed.  Well you can always compensate by creating a
shitload of threads, but I personally don't wanna do that.

Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com

View raw message