hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: putting a border around 0.92 release
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 17:48:33 GMT
Whats our thinking on 0.92.0 now May 1st has passed?  Interestingly,
the numbers of blockers and criticals are the same as Andrew reports
below in the threads' first message (we won some since his email was
written but then some new ones showed up since).  Online merge and
schema edits have not made it in nor has a secondary index
implementation (distributed log splitting has though).

There seemed to be a strong sense in the below thread that we should
go for mostly time-based releases anyways so we should try stabilizing
TRUNK so we can cut a 0.92.0 soon?  When?  This week?  Looks like
it'll be two weeks at least before we nail the blockers and criticals
as is.  Branch May 14th or so?

St.Ack

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
> Stack and I were chatting on IRC about settling with should get into 0.92 before pulling
the trigger on the release.

> Stack thinks we need online region schema editing. I agree because per-table coprocessor
update to trigger various actions in the regionserver. (For CPs, (re)load.)

> I'd also really like to see some form of secondary indexing. This is an important feature
for HBase to have. All of our in house devs ask for this sooner or later in one form or another.
Other projects have options in this arena, while HBase used to in core, but no longer. We
have three people starting on this ASAP. I'd like to at least do co-design with the community.
We should aim for 'simple and effective'.