hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: modular build and pluggable rpc
Date Sat, 28 May 2011 04:15:42 GMT
I already +1'd modularizing post branching of 0.92.0.  When do we
branch 0.92?  We have a bunch of blockers and criticals filed against
it still.  Maybe we all can review and move stuff out that we don't
think so critical or that much of a blocker?

Good stuff,
St.Ack

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
> From IRC:
>
> apurtell        i propose we take the build modular as early as possible to deal
with multiple platform targets
> apurtell        secure vs nonsecure
> apurtell        0.20 vs 0.22 vs trunk
> apurtell        i understand the maintenence issues with multiple rpc engines, for
example, but a lot of reflection twistiness is going to be worse
> apurtell        i propose we take up esammer on his offer
> apurtell        so branch 0.92 asap, get trunk modular and working against multiple
platform targets
> apurtell        especially if we're going to see rpc changes coming from downstream
projects...
> apurtell        also what about supporting secure and nonsecure clients with the
same deployment?
> apurtell        zookeeper does this
> apurtell        so that is selectable rpc engine per connection, with a negotiation
> apurtell        we don't have or want to be crazy about it but a rolling upgrade
should be possible if for example we are taking in a new rpc from fb (?) or cloudera (avro
based?)
> apurtell        also looks like hlog modules for 0.20 vs 0.22 and successors
> apurtell        i think over time we can roadmap the rpc engines, if we have multiple,
by deprecation
> apurtell        now that we're on the edge of supporting both 0.20 and 0.22, and
secure vs nonsecure, let's get it as manageable as possible right away