hbase-dev mailing list archives

From fazool mein <fazoolm...@gmail.com>
Subject Reading from client buffer
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 15:02:09 GMT
Hi,

I am going through the Hbase code to understand its properties better.

There is something called 'write buffer' on the client side. Say it is
enabled. Now, assume a client puts value v under key k, and immediately
reads k.

As I understand from the code, the put will be stored in the client side
write buffer, while the read will go to the region server, returing an older
value, instead of v.

Doesn't this violate the ACID semantics (visibility in particular ) of Hbase
given at: http://hbase.apache.org/acid-semantics.html

<quote>

When a client receives a "success" response for any mutation, that mutation
is immediately visible to both that client and any client with whom it later
communicates through side channels.

</quote>

Thanks.

Regards