hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: modular build and pluggable rpc
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 23:09:45 GMT
> From: Gary Helmling <ghelmling@gmail.com>
> [...]  I'm personally not really interested in repeating the
> work to incorporate security over a new HTTP based stack.
> I think I'd need some convincing that an HTTP transport would
> perform better than what we have.  I'm more inclined to go an
> evolutionary route in improving our current stack.

I am skeptical as well about HTTP based RPC transport performing anywhere in the ballpark
of the current RPC, given my experience with developing Stargate (and profiling server and
client) and use of commons httpclient on a crawler project.

I'd also prefer not to see Gary's work, representing several man-weeks of effort, to smartly
integrate security with the existing RPC layer go to waste.

Best regards,

    - Andy