hbase-dev mailing list archives

From tsuna <tsuna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HConnectionManager max cached instances
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:56:57 GMT
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be happy to know that solution.
> If that solution exists, Karthick and I wouldn't have spent 2 weeks on
> HBASE-3777 :-)

I haven't had time to read through this gigantic issue, so sorry if my
question is stupid.  Is this problem specific to the RegionServer, or
does it also affect regular HBase clients?  Your blog post refers to
HBASE-3734, which seems specific to RegionServer operations, but I see
that the v6 of the patch on HBASE-3777 also touches a lot of code that
relates to regular HBase clients.

I'm having trouble understanding why this is such a big issue.
asynchbase maintains exactly one connection per RegionServer you need
to interact with, and it does NOT maintain any ZooKeeper connection at
all, except when it needs to find -ROOT- (which typically happens only
when your application starts, and then very rarely as servers hosting
.META. and -ROOT- fail).

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com