hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase-2001 added getZooKeeperWatcher and getCatalogTracker to RegionServerServices but these two methods are in Server
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:14:45 GMT

> Seems odd that a CP, a region-scoped thing, would want to make use of
> the catalogtracker and/or zk?

With AccessController we found a need to coordinate some state (ACL
permissions) across all region CP instances.  Seems pretty likely that other
implementors will run into a similar need.

I won't remove them, no worries.  Maybe the RSS should implement
> Server Interface then?  At least, we should fix the fact that Server
> does getZooKeeper to get ZooKeeperWatcher while RSS does
> getZooKeeperWatcher (the 'right' name for the method).

Having RSS extend Server would make sense, since Server provides access to
Configuration, CatalogTracker and ZooKeeperWatcher.  Though it looks like
RSS already extends OnlineRegions?  Anyway, seems like the 3 could stand to
be normalized a bit.