hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HTable thread safety in 0.20.6
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2011 22:10:24 GMT
I dont think protobuf is winning the war out there, it's either thrift
or avro at this point.  Protobuf just isn't an bazzar open-source type
project, and it's non-Java/C++/python support isn't 1st class, plus no
RPC.

As for the past RPC, it's all well to complain that we didn't spend
more time making it more compatible, but in a world where evolving
features in an early platform is more important than keeping backwards
compatibility (how many hbase 18 jars want to talk to a modern
cluster? Like none.), I am confident we did the right choice.  Moving
forward I think the goal should NOT be to maintain the current system
compatible at all costs, but to look at things like avro and thrift,
make a calculated engineering tradeoff and get ourselves on to a
extendable platform, even if there is a flag day.  We aren't out of
the woods yet, but eventually we will be.

-ryan