hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: putting a border around 0.92 release
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:17:14 GMT
> From: Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com>
> Was the second 0.89 a failure? If I recall correctly, various people
> ran it, found bugs, and reported them. We then fixed the bugs for the
> third 0.89 release. Doing the broken one got us all testing a similar
> set of bits (including some more adventurous users) and we used that

I do not feel that putting out a broken DR is a failure by definition.

There's no excuse for releasing known toxic waste but a DR that has issues may have issues
not found until users try out real applications. That is something very valuable about open
source, that a subset of users exist interested in doing this.

   - Andy

View raw message