hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what's the roadmap of secondary index of hbase?
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:41:06 GMT
> From: Matt Corgan <mcorgan@hotpads.com>
>
> I was wondering if it wouldn't be simpler to start with the
> synchronous version of secondary indexes.  It's more complex at
> the time of the Put, but at least you don't have to worry about
> all the edge cases where things are getting out of sync (or are
> there still some?).

We did this before in 0.20 with the transactional index contrib.

It's not really what we want I think*.

2PC produces poor performance relative to that for basic mutations.

Holding RPC threads while doing updates on a secondary table leads to deadlock, as the worker
pools are fixed.

* -- I could be wrong about that but above are the reasons it was pulled.

    - Andy