hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Whiting <je...@qualtrics.com>
Subject Re: google snappy
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:27:29 GMT
This is a great idea.  It is also under the APACHE license so we hopefully we can have snappy

support directly in hbase and can forget about lzo and all its problems.

~Jeff

On 3/23/2011 11:03 AM, Segel, Mike wrote:
> Lol...
> It's already in the works...
>

> Sent from my Palm Pre , Please excuse any spelling errors.
>
> ________________________________
> On Mar 23, 2011 11:53 AM, Weishung Chung<weishung@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> Hey my fellow hadoop/hbase developers,
>
> I just came across this google compression/decompression package yesterday,
> could we make a good use of this compression scheme in hadoop? It's written
> in C++ though.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/snappy/
>
> <http://code.google.com/p/snappy/>I haven't looked close into this snappy
> package yet but i would love to know about the differences compared to LZO.
>
> Thank you,
> Wei Shung
>

> The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only
for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or
any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your
computer or paper files.

--
Jeff Whiting
Qualtrics Senior Software Engineer