hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@fb.com>
Subject RE: gauging cost of region movement
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:22:43 GMT
This is an interesting direction, and definitely file a JIRA as this could be an additional
metric in the future, but it's not exactly what I had in mind.

One of the hardest parts of load balancing based on request count and other dynamic/transient
measures is that you can get some pretty pathological conditions where you are always moving
stuff around.

To guard against it, I think we'll need to move to more of a cost-based algorithm that is
taking not just the difference in request counts into account but also a baseline "cost" of
moving a region.  The cost difference in load between two unbalanced servers would have to
outweigh the cost associated with moving a region.  As you say, looking at the number of live
operations to a given region could contribute to the cost of moving that region, but the best
measure for that is probably just looking at request count (it's all requests that incur a
cost, not just active scanners).

JG