hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data upgrade from 0.89x to 0.90.0.
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 06:46:09 GMT
I am speaking off the hip here, but the major compaction algorithm
attempts to keep the number of major compactions to a minimum by
checking the timestamp of the file. So it's possible that the other
regions just 'didnt come due' yet.

-ryan

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM, James Kennedy
<james.kennedy@troove.net> wrote:
> I've tested HBase 0.90 + HBase-trx 0.90.0 and i've run it over old data from 0.89x using
a variety of seeded unit test/QA data and cluster configurations.

> But when it came time to upgrade some production data I got snagged on HBASE-3524. The
gist of it is in Ryan's last points:

> * compaction is "optional", meaning if it fails no data is lost, so you
> should probably be fine.
>
> * Older versions of the code did not write out time tracker data and
> that is why your older files were giving you NPEs.
>
> Makes sense.  But why did I not encounter this with my initial data upgrades on very
similar data pkgs?

> So I applied Ryan's patch, which simply assigns a default value (Long.MIN_VALUE) when
a StoreFile lacks a timeRangeTracker and I "fixed" the data by forcing major compactions on
the regions affected.  Preliminary poking has not shown any instability in the data since.

> But I confess that I just don't have the time right now to really dig into the code and
validate that there are no more gotchya's or data corruption that could have resulted.

> I guess the questions that I have for the team are:
>
> * What state would 9 out of 50 tables be in to miss the new 0.90.0 timeRangeTracker injection
before the first major compaction check?
> * Where else is the new TimeRangeTracker used?  Could a StoreFile with a null timeRangeTracker
have corrupted the data in other subtler ways?