hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: API changes between 0.20.6 and 0.90.1
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:57:17 GMT
In Hadoop land, Tom White did some awesome work to add special annotations
that we stick on all the public classes that classify the interfaces as:

Stability:
  - Unstable: may change and likely to change between point releases,
  - Evolving: possibly change between point releases but unlikely, could
well change between bigger releases
  - Stable: hasn't changed in a long time, unlikely to change

Audience: Private, Limited, Public
  - Private: not meant for users, even if it's "Stable" we might change it
and break you without a deprecation path
  - Limited: meant only for a certain set of specified projects (eg we might
say "this API is only for use by Hive, and we'll change it so long as the
hive people are OK with it")
  - Public: won't change without deprecation path for one major release

He also built some cool tools to do jdiff and javadoc with these annotations
taken into account (eg javadoc won't show private APIs)

Are people interested in bringing this system over to HBase?

-Todd