hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject CHANGES.txt in trunk vs branch?
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 20:35:16 GMT
Hey all,

I wanted to clarify/ask what our policy is for updating CHANGES.txt on trunk
when something is committed to both trunk and branch.

In the Hadoop project we add the patch to the branch section on both trunk
and branch. That is, if we're working on 0.92 and put a patch in 0.90.1, it
will go in the "0.90.1" section on both svn branches. This makes it easier
to use svn merge or git cherry-pick to move commits between branches, and
also I think makes more sense to a user. For example, if a user upgrades
from 0.90.2 to 0.92 some day, they would expect to have all the changes from
0.90.3, 0.90.4, etc - but not see changes from 0.90.1 again.

Does this jive with what other people think? If so I'll go through and move
entries from the 0.92 section of CHANGES.txt back into 0.90.1 where they've
been committed to both branches.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon