hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: CHANGES.txt in trunk vs branch?
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 20:43:19 GMT
Thanks Todd.  Sounds good.

I 'think' that in the past we would do different to Hadoop in that
we'd just bundle the fix issue under the explicit fix version on
branch but under the current trunk version when we added the fix into
trunk; i.e. using your version example below, we'd put fix under
0.90.1 out on branch but under 0.92 in TRUNK.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> I wanted to clarify/ask what our policy is for updating CHANGES.txt on trunk
> when something is committed to both trunk and branch.
> In the Hadoop project we add the patch to the branch section on both trunk
> and branch. That is, if we're working on 0.92 and put a patch in 0.90.1, it
> will go in the "0.90.1" section on both svn branches. This makes it easier
> to use svn merge or git cherry-pick to move commits between branches, and
> also I think makes more sense to a user. For example, if a user upgrades
> from 0.90.2 to 0.92 some day, they would expect to have all the changes from
> 0.90.3, 0.90.4, etc - but not see changes from 0.90.1 again.
> Does this jive with what other people think? If so I'll go through and move
> entries from the 0.92 section of CHANGES.txt back into 0.90.1 where they've
> been committed to both branches.
> -Todd
> --
> Todd Lipcon