hbase-dev mailing list archives

From tsuna <tsuna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: requests count per HRegion and rebalance
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2011 18:02:41 GMT
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a good suggestion.
> We also need to consider the situation where source RS is under heavy load,
> facing potential GC pause. In this case we shouldn't expect source RS to
> carry on too much computation.

Whenever things fail unexpectedly, we can always fall back to the
current way of migrating regions (expensive for clients but easier for
the server).

Note that the problem is also valid if the destination RS is having
load / GC issues.  But hopefully once we expose proper load metrics,
the master will be able to make good load balancing decisions.  If the
master has information such as QPS per region, latency per region,
number of GC cycles per GC type, then it can get a pretty clear
picture of the load of each RS and try to even it out.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com