hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Lars George <lars.geo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: putting a border around 0.92 release
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2011 09:26:40 GMT
+1 on 0.91 and have something for the summit. Also great to box the feature set now as I will
base the book on 0.92 - anything else would futile.

On Feb 26, 2011, at 23:24, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org> wrote:

> Woah those are huge tasks!
>
> Also to consider:
>
> - integration with hadoop 0.22, should we support it and should we
> also support 0.20 at the same time? 0.22 was branched but IIRC it
> still has quite a few blockers.
> - removing heartbeats, this is in the pipeline from Stack and IMO
> will have ripple effects on online schema editing.
> - HBASE-2856, pretty critical.
> - replication-related issues like multi-slave (which I'm working on),
> and ideally multi-master. I'd like to add better management tools too.
>
> And lastly we need to plan when we want to branch 0.92... should we
> target late May in order to be ready for the Hadoop Summit in June?
> For once it would be nice to offer more than an alpha release :)
>
> Oh and we need a 0.91 pretty soon, putting coprocessors out there would be nice.
>
> Exciting!
>
> J-D
>
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>> Stack and I were chatting on IRC about settling with should get into 0.92 before
pulling the trigger on the release.

>> Stack thinks we need online region schema editing. I agree because per-table coprocessor
update to trigger various actions in the regionserver. (For CPs, (re)load.)

>> I'd also really like to see some form of secondary indexing. This is an important
feature for HBase to have. All of our in house devs ask for this sooner or later in one form
or another. Other projects have options in this arena, while HBase used to in core, but no
longer. We have three people starting on this ASAP. I'd like to at least do co-design with
the community. We should aim for 'simple and effective'.