hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <saint....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to handle data migration?
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2011 03:25:27 GMT
I will dig in Monday James.  If a cluster restart then deleting state up in zk is fine. The
restart will run w/o previous state.  Deleting state from zk is bad if a running cluster.
It will more than likely mess it up as regions in transition kept up in zk are erased

Stack

On Jan 14, 2011, at 10:52, James Kennedy <james.kennedy@troove.net> wrote:

> Negative. I deleted the zookeeper dir and HMaser still managed to pull the wrong IP address
from somewhere.

> I don't have a lot of time to really investigate this myself but I'll try to reproduce
it with a basic test and log a case for it.

> By the way,  can someone clarify the side-effects of deleting the zookeeper dir like
that? I assume it has no ill effect on the data itself especially when the cluster is down.
But what is the worst that can happen if you delete the dir while the cluster is running?

> Thanks
>
> James
>
> On 2011-01-14, at 9:54 AM, Stack wrote:
>
>> It does seem like a regression.   If u kill the zk data dir and restart the cluster
does it work? (root location is up in zk)

>> Stack
>>

>> On Jan 13, 2011, at 11:37, James Kennedy <james.kennedy@troove.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently validating the new 0.90.0 RC3 with the hbase-trx layer and our
own application.

>>> All seems well so far except for the fact that I now find that HBase doesn't
adapt if I try to run the same data on different machines.

>>> e.g.
>>> 1) I work from home and generated our seeded test data.
>>> 2) Run the test suite and all tests pass
>>> 3) I go to the office and re-run the tests.
>>>
>>> Result: HMaster fails because the .ROOT data has the wrong ip address for locating
the .META. At least that is my understanding from the stacktrace below.  Note that the 192.168.1.102
IP address in that trace is the IP from my home network and is incorrect.

>>> This wasn't an issue with previous versions of HBase as far as I've noticed.
 And this seems to be a big data portability fail.
>>> Surely the HMaster should be able to absorb stale metadata and wait for new region-servers
to check in.
>>> Instead it just keels over and dies.
>>> But before logging a case I wanted to know if there was something I'm obviously
missing or doing wrong.

>>> The seeded test data is on HDFS.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>>> [13/01/11 10:58:42] 5939   [           main] INFO  ion.service.HBaseRegionService
 - troove> Starting region server thread.
>>> [13/01/11 11:00:15] 98699  [        HMaster] FATAL he.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster
 - Unhandled exception. Starting shutdown.
>>> java.net.SocketTimeoutException: 20000 millis timeout while waiting for channel
to be ready for connect. ch : java.nio.channels.SocketChannel[connection-pending remote=192.168.1.102/192.168.1.102:60020]