hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Schubert Zhang <zson...@gmail.com>
Subject Online modify table schema (e.g. AddColumnFamily, DeleteColumnFamily, etc) and other features
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:56:26 GMT
I have following questions about some features which are needed in my
applications.

1. The current HBase release(0.89, 0.90 ~) does not support to modify table
schema online.
     If I want add or delete a ColumnFamily, I must disable/offline the
table firstly.
     Is there a plan to support online modification?
     I think after the table schema info is moved into ZooKeeper from
RegionServer, this feature is possible to be supported.

2. Different memstore/memtable-size and region-size for different table.
    This feature is useful for different tables for different applications.
     Is there a plan to support it?

3. Periodic flush.
    Current HBase only flush memstore to HFile by memory size thresholds.
    If a Region-Store is quiet for a long time (such as 2 hours) for a
write-dense application, the periodic flush can free more memory.
    Is there a plan to support it?

Schubert Zhang