hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Booth <jaybo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Heap fragmentation
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:18:26 GMT
Do you even need to go unsafe?  Say you made the memstore a
closed-loop system..  get allocated 512MB or 1GB of buffers at
startup, and then whenever any buffer is flushed, it gets pushed onto
the bufferQueue.  New buffers only come from bufferQueue, no new
byte[] calls.  If there are no buffers available in the queue, and you
need to write, trigger a flush.  That means it'll be the same buffers,
which won't create new heap fragmentation as they'll presumably
migrate down to the bottom of old gen heap after the first major
compaction or two..  you're just passing references to them through
that queue.  I haven't look at the code but this is probably
reasonably pluggable with whatever safeguards you guys already have to
flush before allocing if you're close to max memory.