hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Items to contribute (plan)
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:54:31 GMT
On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Tatsuya Kawano <tatsuya6502@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. RADOS integration
>
> Run HBase not only on HDFS but also RADOS distributed object store (the lower layer of
Ceph), so that the following options will become available to HBase users:

> -- No SPOF (RADOS doesn't have the name node(s), but only ZK-like monitors and data nodes)
> -- Instant backup of HBase tables (RADOS provides copy-on-write snapshot per object pool)
> -- Extra durability option on WAL (RADOS can do both synchronous and asynchronous disk
flush. HDFS doesn't have the earlier option)

> Note:
> RADOS object = HFile, WAL
> object pool = group of HFiles or WAL
>
> Current status: Design phase

I know a few people are interested in this Tatsuya so would suggest
that you open issue now and work publicly.

> 2. mapreduce.HFileInputFormat
>
> MR library to read data directly from HFiles. (Roughly 2.5 times faster than TableInputFormat
in my tests)

> Current status: Completed a proof-of-concept prototype and measured performance.

What about the in-memory edits?  Or you thinking of reading the WALs too?

> 3. Enhance Get/Scan performance of RS
>
> Add an hash code and a couple of flags to HFile at the flush time and change scanner
implementation so that:

> -- Get/Scan operations will get faster. (less key comparisons for reconstructing a row:
O(h * c) -> O(h).  [h = number of HFiles for the row, c = number of columns in an HFile])
> -- The size of HFiles will become a bit smaller. (The flags will eliminate duplicate
bytes in keys (row, column family and qualifier) from HFiles.)

> Current status: Completed a proof-of-concept prototype and measured performance.
>
> Detals:
> https://github.com/tatsuya6502/hbase-mr-pof/
> (I meant "poc" not "pof"...)

Sounds great.

> 4. Writing Japanese books and documents
>
> -- Currently I'm authoring a book chapter about HBase for a Japanese NOSQL book
> -- I'll translate The Apache HBase Book to Japanese

All of the above sound great Tatsuya.
Thanks,
St.Ack