hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Yifeng Jiang <yifeng.ji...@mail.rakuten.co.jp>
Subject Re: Items to contribute (plan)
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 05:14:42 GMT
Hi Tatsuya,

 >This one is a commercial book from a Japanese publisher, so I'll do
this by myself.

I see. I'll be looking forward to reading your book.

 >I created a Jira entry to track this task:
 >https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-3391

Good job. I'm glad to work with you on the translation.
Maybe I can translate the book to Chinese, too.

 > Are you working at Rakuten in Tokyo? Maybe we can meet at next Hadoop
Source Code Reading at Rakuten
Tower. Do you know this event?

I'm working for Rakuten at the Osaka branch.
So I don't know if I can go to Tokyo to meet you at next Hadoop Source
Code Reading event.

May I send you a greeting email from my personal address, and talk about
your plan via email at first?

Thanks,

On 01/26/2011 12:34 PM, Tatsuya Kawano wrote:
> Hi Yifeng,
>> #4. Writing Japanese books and documents
>> I am glad if I can work on this one with you.
> Thanks for your offer. Let me explain a bit more about them.
>>> -- Currently I'm authoring a book chapter about HBase for a Japanese NOSQL book
> This one is a commercial book from a Japanese publisher, so I'll do this by myself.
>
>>> -- I'll translate The Apache HBase Book to Japanese
> This one comes with HBase, and I'm looking for some people (like you) to work with.
>
> http://hbase.apache.org/book.html
>
> I created a Jira entry to track this task:
>

> Are you working at Rakuten in Tokyo? Maybe we can meet at next Hadoop Source Code Reading
at Rakuten Tower. Do you know this event?

> Thanks,
> Tatsuya
>
> --
> Tatsuya Kawano (Mr.)
> Tokyo, Japan
>

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Yifeng Jiang<yifeng.jiang@mail.rakuten.co.jp>  wrote:
>
>> #4. Writing Japanese books and documents
>> I am glad if I can work on this one with you.
>>

>> On 01/23/2011 10:18 AM, Tatsuya Kawano wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to let you know that I'm planning to contribute the following items
to the HBase community. These are my spare time projects and I'll only be able to spend my
time about 7 hours a week, so the progress will be very slow. I want some feedback from you
guys to prioritize them. Also, if someone/team wants to work on them (with me or alone), I'll
be happy to provide more details.

>>> 1. RADOS integration
>>>
>>> Run HBase not only on HDFS but also RADOS distributed object store (the lower
layer of Ceph), so that the following options will become available to HBase users:

>>> -- No SPOF (RADOS doesn't have the name node(s), but only ZK-like monitors and
data nodes)
>>> -- Instant backup of HBase tables (RADOS provides copy-on-write snapshot per
object pool)
>>> -- Extra durability option on WAL (RADOS can do both synchronous and asynchronous
disk flush. HDFS doesn't have the earlier option)

>>> Note:
>>> RADOS object = HFile, WAL
>>> object pool = group of HFiles or WAL
>>>
>>> Current status: Design phase
>>>

>>> 2. mapreduce.HFileInputFormat
>>>
>>> MR library to read data directly from HFiles. (Roughly 2.5 times faster than
TableInputFormat in my tests)

>>> Current status: Completed a proof-of-concept prototype and measured performance.
>>>

>>> 3. Enhance Get/Scan performance of RS
>>>
>>> Add an hash code and a couple of flags to HFile at the flush time and change
scanner implementation so that:

>>> -- Get/Scan operations will get faster. (less key comparisons for reconstructing
a row: O(h * c) ->   O(h).  [h = number of HFiles for the row, c = number of columns in
an HFile])
>>> -- The size of HFiles will become a bit smaller. (The flags will eliminate duplicate
bytes in keys (row, column family and qualifier) from HFiles.)

--
Yifeng Jiang