hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Good VLDB paper on WALs
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 19:32:19 GMT
Nice list of things we need to do to make logging faster (with useful
citations on current state of art).  This notion of early lock release
(ELR) is worth looking into (Jon, for high rates of counter
transactions, you've been talking about aggregating counts in front of
the WAL lock... maybe an ELR and then a hold on the transaction until
confirmation of flush would be way to go?).  Regards flush-pipelining,
it would be interesting to see if there are traces of the sys-time
that Dhruba is seeing in his NN out in HBase servers.  My guess is
that its probably drowned by other context switches done in our
servers.  Definitely worth study.

St.Ack
P.S. Minimizing context switches, a system for ELR and
flush-pipelining, recasting the server to make use of one of the DI or
OSGi frameworks, moving off log4j, etc..... Is it just me or do others
feel a server rewrite coming on?