hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: provide a 0.20-append tarball?
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:09:28 GMT
There is nothing in the ASF that requires us to depend solely on ASF
releases.  As long as we are good with the licensing guidelines.  But
that is the legal situation, not the community situation which is of
course more complex.

My stand on this is the one I have always taken.  I need a HBase that
works, well, and with no data loss.

-ryan

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:55 AM, Jonathan Gray <jgray@fb.com> wrote:
> For CDH specific compatibility issues beyond general stuff like does it work, I think
users should be pointed to Cloudera for support.

> For security issues, they probably won't find much help here so would need to go to Cloudera
or some stuff might be answerable on the HDFS lists since security is in Apache 0.22 branch.

> We also want to support HDFS 0.22 at some point so being aware of potential issues is
at least somewhat relevant for the community at large even if not using CDH.

> The line that I believe should be drawn, and I think most have agreed, is that we should
be compatible with and ship with an official Apache Hadoop release.  Having something Apache
to ship with was one of the motivations of the 20-append branch.

> So yeah, the plan is to do an official 20-append Apache release.  Some effort needs
to go into it, so when is an open question.  Don't know if there's a release manager yet,
I think Dhruba might have stated so when we made the branch but don't exactly recall.  However
there is one very common theme in the 20-append open JIRAs :)

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310942&fixfor=12315103
>
> There are currently 15 open issues listed.  The blocker, at least, is already committed
to 20-append and is just open because it's not in trunk yet, so the number may be off a bit.