hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: dynamic RPC and coprocessor changes
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 05:33:45 GMT
This is not at all about seeing CP as "second class".

As you know, I'm extremely excited about them and I think it's absolutely awesome how much
work you guys have been putting in to them.  I have a bunch of plans for what I'd like to
try to get done utilizing coprocessors.

My issues are about the timing and the nature of coprocessors.  I'd like to see this done
in the best way possible.

IMO two weeks is not that much time to have something like this up for review, because it's
not just about the code review (though I think that's important and there's been great back-and-forth).
 If we were at the start of a new trunk/release cycle, I would actually be fine with committing
it this week.  I (and others) would have time to play with it over the coming weeks and changes
could still be made as it is out in the wild for a reasonable amount of time.

I just don't think this is the kind of thing that gets nailed with two weeks of code reviews.
 It needs to be used, exercised, and different use cases need to be applied to it.

For example, the initial CP implementation underwent a huge amount of change once you guys
started to make security work with it.  That's just one use case.  Others will push it in
new directions and will have different requirements.

Of course it can still change after the initial release, but it gets much harder to make big
changes and you have to worry about breaking compatibility.  We already dealt with this with
filters and those are far simpler than coprocessors.

And I disagree strongly that we are going to continue to do yearly releases.  Our previous
release rewrote the RS in a major way, changed our on-disk format, etc.   This release introduces
appends/no data loss for the first time and the master has been completely redesigned.  And
we've only just-now broken from the hadoop release cycle with 0.90.

The 0.92 release does not currently have any big sweeping changes like that planned.  It will/should
be a feature release which adds a lot of the stuff we've all been working on in recent months
but have not yet finished or polished, plus another month or so of additional work.  I'd like
to push to get it out just a couple months after the 0.90 release.

JG