hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: dynamic RPC and coprocessor changes
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 16:14:31 GMT
> From: Todd Lipcon
>
> If we could hold up the 0.90 release for enough time to do
> a dev release or two with coprocessors, I'd be all for it.
> But given the aims of the release, I don't think coprocessors
> are a blocking feature.

This position makes sense when viewed through the lens of your priorities. However it also
confirms my suspicion coprocessors as a feature is somehow considered second class.

That said, I do acknowledge I let coprocessors sit for a while so someone else could pick
up what was on jira and iterate on it. Anticipating many of the points raised in this discussion,
especially the one about having multiple parties try it out on their use cases. But nobody
did, so I eventually tasked our guys to finish it. We also agreed to base our security work
on it. So coprocessors blocks all of our stuff now. Then we put coprocessor patches for review.
They sat there untouched for many days. Now I'm agitating for inclusion because otherwise
it seems this feature would be ignored. At the same time, we have received comment the coprocessor
framework is exciting, which is incongruent.

> I think, though, that for this kind of large new framework,
> we want to have some experience actually trying to use it -
> having at least one other person/company outside of
> TrendMicro use the framework to build a non-toy app is the
> requirement in my mind.

That would be great, but it is totally out of my control, so making it a precondition for
inclusion seems somewhat unfair.

   - Andy