hbase-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: old master to 0.90 and new master to 0.92? (was RE: Millions of photos into Hbase)
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:11:36 GMT
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Jonathan Gray <jgray@facebook.com> wrote:
> My main concern is that this move will push back any release of the new master significantly.
 There are countless improvements in the codebase that came along with the rewrite, well
beyond just zk transitions.  But doing a production release in time for HW is probably the
most important thing.

IMO, we're almost there w/ the new master.  I'd like to wait till
Thursday or Friday before making a call.

Regards HW, we might consider pressing on with new master even if it
means we don't exactly line up a new master 0.89.x (or a 0.90.xRC)
release w/ HW.  You fellas talking at HW can fudge it some if it comes
to that (We won't be the only ones.  CDH3 will not be ready for HW
apparently).  I'm thinking we can afford to take such a position
because if someone wants durable hbase now, they can run with the
SU-prod 0.89.x that J-D is about to put up.

Putting off new master till 0.92 means it'll be maybe 6 months before
it appears.  During this time we'll be paying a high price keeping up
two disparate branches -- TRUNK w/ new master and the release branch
-- shoe-horning patches to fit both.

We also confuse the 0.90 'message' given we've been talking about new
master at HUGs and here on the lists with a good while now.


View raw message