hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase RPM spec file?
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2010 19:12:01 GMT
Hey,

There isnt any concerted effort by HBase developers to deliver a RPM.
Part of the reason is that we just dont have the bandwidth to
repackage and deal with those issues.  As a developer who has to
support repackaging, i am not super excited about it - since most of
the problems tend to be related to classpath issues which are greatly
affected by repackaging.

Here at SU we do rsync deployments, which are substantially simpler
because you can do it as a non-trusted user.  For example hadoop and
hbase run our of the 'hadoop' user home directory, and with
passwordless ssh we can rsync those in a fast, semiautomated fashion.
Switching to a DEB/RPM system would require distributed root access
which is fairly difficult to do right now.

-ryan

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Ned Rockson <ned@nimbula.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an HBase RPM spec file. I found one submitted by Cloudera but appears
to only work with their  source. Is there a generalized hbase RPM spec? I did find HBASE-1427
but the patch is no longer attached to the ticket.