hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: old master to 0.90 and new master to 0.92? (was RE: Millions of photos into Hbase)
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:11:13 GMT
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Jonathan Gray <jgray@facebook.com> wrote:

> > > We also confuse the 0.90 'message' given we've been talking about new
> > > master at HUGs and here on the lists with a good while now.
> >
> > This might be a little naïve but what about calling the "SU"-build
> > 0.88 and release it (with a small disclaimer). It would make sense in
> > that the 0.89-dev releases have more stuff in them than 0.88 and it
> > would still allow for a 0.90 release with all the announced features.
>
> I like this too... if we go the direction of an old master release.

I'm -1 on an out-of-order release like this. I think it will really confuse
people, please won't work correctly with upgrades on packaging systems.

I know we've been promising "new master for 0.90" at meetups and stuff, but
outside the dev team, does anyone really care about the implementation
details? The feature here isn't a new master, it's more stable master
failover, better locality, etc. Whether we have that or say that it's going
to be in the next version, I don't think people will be too upset.

The argument that it's hell to maintain two branches is a fair one, but
unless we can get trunk usable very soon now, we're already going to be in
that situation. People are migrating production instances to 0.89.x now, and
once people go to production they are very hesitant to upgrade, regardless
of what we tell them.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon