hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase: project ideas
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:22:13 GMT
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Himanshu Vashishtha
<vashishtha.h@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All:
> I have been looking around HBase (running/debugging it, etc) for a couple of
> weeks now, and it is fascinating. I am in search of a good project for my
> grad studies, focussing around HBase, but am not able to finalize it. I am
> looking for some project idea that I can use. It can be user or a dev
> project, I am open to all :)
>
> One idea (user specific) is to migrate a XQuery like tool that uses
> relational db schema (there are bunch of papers suggesting it) to HBase, but
> I don't sure whether it is really a judicial use of HBase. Please suggest.

Hello Himanshu.

Its hard to make suggestion when I've no clue as to your interests.
Can you cite some of the papers you mention?

+ Have you looked at HIVE?  It might be more pertinent making this run
better atop hbase rather than making a new XQuery-like tool for hbase.
+ Build an app that allows various kind of location queries using
geohashing+hbase combo.  There's a few fellas floating on the list who
might be able to help you out on this project.

For extra points, whatever you do, build it using hbase-2000 coprocessors.

Thanks for writing the list Himanshu.
St.Ack