hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Finding on HBase-Hypertable comparison
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:04:47 GMT
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Gagandeep Singh <
gagandeep.singh@paxcel.net> wrote:

> From past one month I have been evaluating Hypertable and HBase. I would
> like to share my findings. Though I am not including much details here here
> but I will soon share it with the community.
>
> I found following shortcomings in HBase
> 1. Slower or equal in performance when compared with Hypertable. All my
> tests were ran over a DB schema where I interact with multiple tables with
> multiple column families and with multiple columns.
> 2. HBase Shell syntax is really difficult to adapt for someone coming from
> SQL background. Unfortunately most of the users will come from SQL
> background. Here I recall the success story of firefox Mozilla. They became
> a success because they have not changed the menu options in the browser and
> kept it as close to IE because they knew from where they were going to get
> their users.
>
> Best things about HBase
> 1. Stable, I never got a crash when performing any operation even under
> very
> High load tests whereas Hypertable is unstable. Even their new releases are
> not up to the mark. I can understand that both communities are open source
> and evolving so such things can happen.
> 2. Much easier and better documented API's.
> 3. UI interface to see logs and many other important information.
> 4. Support for Gangila which makes life easy for people like us who needs
> monitor DB and Machine performances.
>
> I would like to go for HBase because of its stability but since Hypertable
> has shown better performance our client prefers it. I do not have anything
> against Hypertable. But I think HBase will def. catch up with performance
> issues sooner than later.
>
> Would you also like to share any other comparison points which can help me
> put my case strongly in support of HBase ?

HBase's community overlaps much more closely with Hadoop's, and also has
better integration with MR, etc. Being Java, we can iterate much faster on
features (though admittedly we do take a bit of a performance hit). We can
also integrate more easily with a larger number of libraries (eg lucene,
solr integration being worked on by the community currently). The HBase
development team is also much larger and more active. License-wise, HBase is
Apache 2.0 licensed whereas Hypertable is GPL - this makes it a lot easier
to embed in products without fear of viral license contamination. Lastly,
there are a lot more examples of production deployments of HBase than
Hypertable, and even more currently in PoC/development phase which I can't
talk about publicly.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon