hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.90 release date estimate
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2010 03:14:50 GMT
I would suggest that first week in October.

Our guys are working on coprocessors (the minimum necessary bits to support server side extension)
and role based access control support, built on top of coprocessors, in the regionservers
and shell. By the end of September, if not earlier, they will have various patches up on Review
Board for review for commit that update RPC and the regionservers incrementally.

Also I presume the shell support will be added in some pluggable manner.

The idea being that taking on the performance impact of an HBase-native access control feature
is completely optional, and can be enabled, via the coprocessor extension framework, on a
table-by-table basis.

Also we will endeavor to make HBase RPC pluggable enough so a single jar can be deployed on
a Y! Secure Hadoop derived platform or a vanilla ASF derived one -- use some reflection and
an additional config var in hbase-site.xml to switch between. This way HBase can also 1) interoperate
on the secure platform variant; and 2) if so, take advantage of the strong authentication
for its native access control function.

It would be great if a minimum-necessary-to-ship subset at least of these features can make
it into 0.90 instead of 0.92 or whatever. Especially for Hadoop World.

  - Andy