hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: Data disappears and re-appears again after HBase cluster restart
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:26:25 GMT
Yes, we set timestamps on all Puts. The vast majority of timestamps are in the past (several
minutes from now()) and only small fraction is in the future (and this future will never come
- Its pretty close to Long.MAX_VALUE)
But we have now clocks synced on all servers so I do not think this can explain the issue.
Besides this, we do not set timestamps when we do inserts into  one particular table and this
table disappears as well (and reappears after restart)

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: saint.ack@gmail.com [saint.ack@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stack [stack@duboce.net]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 11:05 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Data disappears and re-appears again after HBase cluster restart

Vladimir:

Are you setting times on cells you add to HBase?  If so, could these
be in the future as far as the regionserver is concerned.  For
example, perhaps you are setting the version/timestamp on a client
whose close is different from that over on the RegionServer, then when
we scan, we miss these future values?

Do you have to restart the cluster?  What happens if you just wait?
Does the data come back then?

St.Ack

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Vladimir Rodionov
<vrodionov@carrieriq.com> wrote:
> We are running ntpd on all servers and clocks are in sync now but it has not fixed the
problem.
> I run the flow, then check
>
> hbase shell
>> count 'tableX'
> 0 rows
>
> after HBase restart I am able to get the 'right' number of rows in a table
>
> For some tables I get wrong number of rows that is always less than the actual number
of rows, for others I get - 0 rows.
> It always goes away after HBase restart. All tables are small in size and all are newly
created during our flow execution.

> I have checked many times Master and Region server's log files but apart from:
>
> RegionNotServingException -META- (or -ROOT-) I can see nothing suspicious.
>
> In Region servers log files I see a lot of messages like this one:
> 2010-07-26 17:05:43,751 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion: Finished memstore
flush of ~114.4k for region 10__HB_NOINC_ORCL_JDBC_0726_MEJOMEJO-ERROR_COUNTS-1280187791424-0,,1280187802112
in 985ms, sequence id=309833, compaction requested=false

> This is during the cluster's shutdown operation.
>
> Best regards,
> Vladimir Rodionov
> Principal Platform Engineer
> Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com

Yes it is a bunch of M/R jobs.
>>> One of the jobs stores data into HBase (0.20.3), the next one loads data from
HBase (using scan) performs additional transformations
>>> and stores data finally into RDBMS.
>>>
>>> Flow works fine (most of the time). It means that new HBase tables are created,
data is loaded and can be read after that during the next M/R job

>>> After flow finishes , data from tables (but not tables itself), sometimes, mysteriously
disappear. This is not deterministic and to get data back we need to RESTART HBase cluster.
>>> So HBase restart fixes the problem.
>>>
>>> Cluster is small (3 servers). RAM is limited - 8GB. Only 2 CPU cores per server
but input data size is small as well and the average size of disappearing tables is several
1000s rows-
>>> they are small. Hadoop is from CHD2. I can not get you any additional helpful
information at the time (no log files), but may be somebody has encountered this