hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RPC statistics from region servers...
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 23:39:17 GMT
Ryan:
Yep, agreed on removal of the code to method name mappings.  Makes send to
pull the HBASE-2146 change at the same time as all it did was wrap the same
mappings.

Kannan:

> > We could do a similar initialization of the JMX MBean by just
> introspecting
> > the RPC interfaces though (HMasterInterface, HMasterRegionInterface,
> > HRegionInterface).
>
>  What would be the net effect of this change compared to the state trunk is
> currently in? Could you clarify?

This would just setup the RPC stats MBean on server startup so that it
contained an attribute for each defined RPC method.  Otherwise, as you saw,
the attributes don't even show up in JMX until you have some cluster
activity with those methods and have configured hadoop-metrics.properties to
do periodic updates.

It's not really a functional change, just makes the stats a little more
intuitive.  Instead of sometimes displaying, sometimes not, they would show
up immediately with zeroed values.  You would still need the
hadoop-metrics.properties configuration using a context with periodic
updates in order for actual values to show, though.

It's a trivial change, I'll throw up a patch.

Gary