hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase Hackathon IV Wrap-up
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:20:42 GMT
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Steven Noels <stevenn@outerthought.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:03 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> Not on a formal basis - here's an old blog post talking about Daisy in a
> techdoc environment:
> http://blogs.sun.com/coolstuff/entry/daisy_wysiwyg_wiki_for_pdf

Going by this article, really, we should be running daisy instead of
the apache supplied wiki and we'd get a boat load of cool stuff.

> Yes, it's a webapp through which you author.

That fellas have to put up a webapp container to author to write docs
is too high a barrier in my opinion (I have to have a mysql running
too?).  Getting fellas writing doc. is like pulling teeth at the best
of times so barriers should be at a minimum.

How would versioning work?  We'd have to pull out of daisy and commit
into the repo?

> Consider it being a Confluence without the UI/Atlassian fanciness, slightly
> more complex (but also more flexible), however pretty stable and with a
> solid techdoc legacy. We're quite busy but I could look if we could free up
> some time to support a trial if that's what the community wants.

Thanks for the offer.  You suggesting you'd host it?  We'd make
docs.hbase.org point to such a hosting?

However, I
> think Todd/Cloudera are sold on Confluence already - and there's already
> some setup on the ASF side of things to export Confluence content to static
> HTML that can be SVN-versioned for the ASF website.

HBase doesn't use confluence.  No plans to either, not that I've heard of.

> Speaking of which, with my ASF Member hat on: we should have some formal
> vetting on doc contributions as well - with Daisy for Cocoon we had a simple
> tick box upon registration to declare a contributor had the legal rights to
> actually contribute under the ASF license terms. If the idea is to open up
> doc contributions, of course.

While this'd be sweet, there is such a checkbox in JIRA that
contributors need to check for us to commit (doc) patches.

Thanks Steven,
St.Ack