hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Proposed feature branch for HBase security
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 19:07:02 GMT
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Gary Helmling <ghelmling@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> With Yahoo's latest security release on github (
> http://github.com/yahoo/hadoop-common/tree/yahoo-hadoop-0.20.104), it
> looks
> like we now have a real-world usable version of secure Hadoop, based on
> 0.20.  This is exciting stuff, because now we have something solid to start
> working towards implementing similar security controls in HBase
> (HBASE-1697,
> HBASE-2014, HBASE-2016, HBASE-2420)!
>
> However, this is going to be a large undertaking, with a strong dependency
> on the secure Hadoop branch (more on that in a bit --  unfortunately the
> fragmented hadoop-0.20 world is already leaking through).  So I'd like to
> propose a feature branch in the HBase svn repo for security work, to:
>
> 1) ensure that changes towards implementing secure HBase have an ASF home
> 2) provide more visibility and granularity for review (esp. JIRA &
> reviewboard usage)
> 3) ease interaction/integration with other branched changes underway
> (master
> rewrite)
>
> I've already started pushing some preliminary changes up to github (
> http://github.com/ghelmling/hbase/tree/security), and will continue to do
> so, but I'd like to avoid both massive patch sets accumulating too many
> changes and making interested committers & contributors go digging to see
> what the current state is.
>
> On the secure Hadoop branch dependency -- I've integrated the
> org.apache.hadoop.ipc changes into o.a.h.hbase.ipc.* (HBASE-2742) and run
> into a couple complications:
>
> * Hadoop RPC version rolled from 3 to 4 (apparently 0.20-append also does
> this!)

Can you explain further which version you're talking about here? Our HBase
IPC is already wire-incompatible with Hadoop IPC, so the version numbers
needn't match up, right?

> * various bits in the updated HBaseClient, HBaseServer, etc. now depend on
> the security implementation, so building and running on top of non-secure
> Hadoop will not be possible.

Which classes do we depend on? Can we copy-paste those over into our tree?
It's more of a maintenance pain in some ways, but in other ways it allows us
to fix bugs, etc, without waiting on Hadoop releases.

> I'd like to post the diff on review.hbase.org for more review and
> feedback,
> but that begs the question of where the changes should go?

I can set up review.hbase.org to fetch from your github repo, so that diffs
against your github branch will upload properly. Is that useful?

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera