hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject What for a Documentation Tool (WAS -> Re: HBase Hackathon IV Wrap-up)
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:57:56 GMT
Looking more, is it fair to say that using daisy just for
documentation, going to an extreme, is a little like using a laptop
for an alarm clock?  A laptop makes for a perfectly good alarm clock,
but its not what you'd primarily use it for.  Daisy can be used as a
documentation system, but to extract the most value of a daisy
install, it should be serving hbase.org (or at least the wiki part of

More below...

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Steven Noels <stevenn@outerthought.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>> That fellas have to put up a webapp container to author to write docs
>> is too high a barrier in my opinion (I have to have a mysql running
>> too?).  Getting fellas writing doc. is like pulling teeth at the best
>> of times so barriers should be at a minimum.
>> How would versioning work?  We'd have to pull out of daisy and commit
>> into the repo?
> People would access a centrally-hosted instance of Daisy to author/maintain
> docs. Offline editing is impossible.

The hbase wiki and site are maintained by Apache.  If we put up a
Daisy instance, we'd have to maintain it ourselves.  Maven generates
our site for us.

> Upon designated moments, we can then use the Books feature of Daisy to pull
> a static copy from the webapp into the ASF repo - I'd say close to major
> releases.

> There's a bit of work involved in setting up something which appeals both
> visually and structurally to documentation authors - but nothing to be
> afraid of. With the holiday season approaching however, doing so might take
> until late August. If that's still helpful, we can look into helping out.
> With regards to physical provisioning of such a box, we don't have any
> leftover capacity at the moment. Either we ask Apache (one of the Sun zones
> boxes perhaps), or we investigate spare capacity somewhere else. We don't
> have any internal hosting capacity to speak of, I suspect other HBase users
> have that readily available. If that's not possible, it's a matter of hiring
> a VPS somewhere out there and pointing docs.hbase.org to it.
Sounds like Jon could get us a box and we could run an experiment to
see how people liked daisy-for-documentation.

My thing is that, like yourselves, we (hbase dev) have limited
resources to devote to the doc project.  For me, choosing something
like docbook -- a 'standard', a docsystem I and others already 'know'
that has good integration with our maven build system -- seems like
less work overall.

What do others thing?

View raw message